The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) is a government statutory authority with a mission to protect Australia’s sporting integrity and health of athletes through the elimination of doping.
ASADA’s education programme is a key tool in the prevention of doping in sport. Following several high-profile doping cases the organisation experienced dramatic growth in the number of professional and recreational athletes, coaches and other support personnel completing online anti-doping courses. However, with an aging Learning Management System (LMS) that no longer suited their needs, ASADA was at significant risk due to failing software, inaccurate reporting and client frustration.
A new LMS was needed that:
- learners can access on any device without system security being compromised
- engages learners
- handles the needs of a large and ever growing user base, with the ability to grow and evolve with the organisation and industry best practice
- incorporates face-to-face learning, audio visual resources, rich communication tools
- is WCAG 2.0 AA and SCORM compliant
- supports the smooth implementation of internal processes/procedures
- provides strong and accurate monitoring/reporting
- enables ASADA’s strategic outcomes to be realised
- facilitates internal and external stakeholder engagement
- can be easily maintained in-house with minimal reliance on external support.
Totara LMS responsive themes offer ASADA a simple way for users to experience a seamless learning experience, regardless of the device they use to access courses. Achieved using a combination of fluid and adaptive layout designs, this resulted in an 80% increase in the number of users accessing via mobile devices in the first six months following launch.
ASADA uses the Totara LMS as a key platform for stakeholder engagement, with the vast majority of its 38,000 registered users being external members of the sporting community. The ability for the ASADA education team to host and regularly update interesting and relevant course content is key to this stakeholder engagement, and has resulted in an increasing number of returning learners. Totara LMS was chosen partly due to its wide range of content authoring and management capabilities, while it also incorporates interesting and rich communication tools such as email, message, live text, social collaboration.
ASADA now has the ability to manage face-to-face training online in an efficient way, with streamlined reporting back to government. With the support of senior management, ASADA has also now begun the process of deploying a number of internal staff training modules via the LMS where previously such an approach was not possible due to the limitations of the old LMS.
Totara LMS supports and enhances ASADA’s education vision by aligning with their corporate branding and identity, and providing specific content to different sporting organisations as required. Part of ASADA’s broader education strategy is for the LMS to act as the central portal for their wider education resources. In doing so, Totara LMS features such as embedded videos and links to ASADA’s YouTube channel; news and social media feed; the ability to host education related polls and surveys; and links to important sections of ASADA’s corporate website are invaluable.
In terms of cost-effectiveness, Totara LMS provides ASADA with more features and benefits than their previous LMS at the same cost, while offering significant cost savings in related training costs and staff time. ASADA also leverages Totara LMS in promoting a wide range of other resources to the sporting community, which is of significant benefit to the organisation.
Kineo Pacific and the Totara LMS system were selected from the Government eLearning Panel as a clear winner in regards to the functionality and value for money presented. While ASADA had a number of alternative options, Kineo Pacific and the Totara LMS give ASADA an ability to connect with our learners in a personal and directly relevant way, and give us much greater control over how we present our courses and learning resources.
Simon Ray, Education Officer, ASADA
- Winner of the LearnX Platinum Award Best Bespoke eLearning.
- Winner of the LearnX Gold Award Best Deployment of Hosted LMS.
- 92% of users have stated they've learnt something new from completing the course.
- 87% of users found the course relevant to their needs.
- Over 38,000 registered users able to access courses from any device, anywhere, anytime.
- Continuing increase in the number of people accessing ASADA learning via mobile devices.
- Over 50,000 Open Badges issued to those completing their online learning.
- Access via mobile devices has almost doubled from 15% to 27%
- Record number of course completions being experienced.
- Streamlined tracking and reporting to external stakeholders.
- Over 40% decrease in user complaints and support requests.
- Cost savings from reduced staff effort supporting learners in using the system ($26,000 per year) and decrease in face-to-face training costs ($7.10 per learner).